The lands of Chateau Montrose, beside the river Gironde, were purchased by act of the Bordeaux parlement, from Alexandre de Segur, by Etienne Theodore Dunmoulin on 6th March, 1778. In 1825 there were only 14 or15 acres of vines but by 1832 this had increased to some 88 acres, and in 1855, Chateau Montrose was classified among the second growths in Medoc. For over a century and more it has remained in the hands of the Charmolue family with an estate extending to 235 acres.
In a single piece the vineyard is divided into large squares separated from each other by wide paths, and planted with premium grapes. It is due to this highly practical layout that the grand cru of Montrose is quoted as being a model vineyard. Moreover it is the choice of grapes, the nature of its gravel soil and its very special exposure that has gained its great reputation, perhaps best expressed by some connoisseurs as being the “Latour of Saint Estephe”
Saint-Estephe / Second Growth
Cabernet Sauvignon 50% Merlot Noir 35% Cabernet Franc 10% Petit Verdot 5%
Deeply tannic. Allow up to 20 to 25 years before you drink a great vintage